Intermediate Calculus, MAT 283, Fall 2005
This is the home page for MAT 283, section 002, meeting MW from
-- 1:45 in CBC-C217.
My name is Dr. Arthur Baragar. My
office is CBC-B 308 and I can be reached at 895-0378.
Important information announced in class will also be posted on WebCT.
The prerequisite for this course is MAT 182 (with a C or
Text: James Stewart, Calculus, Early Transcendentals,
Grading Scheme: The grading in this course is as follows:
- Chapter 12 -- 13: Vectors and vector valued functions.
- Chapter 14: Functions of several variables/Partial
- Chapter 15: Multiple integeration
- Chapter 16: Vector Calculus and Gauss, Green, and Stoke's
There is no preset correlation between numerical grades and your final
letter grade. A letter grade (without + or -) will be included
with the return of
exam and will cover all exams up to then. Current grades will be
posted on WebCT after every exam. Sample
exams will be posted on WebCT. Late homework
will be accepted but is subject to a penalty. The penalty is
for students who complete most homeworks on time, but is more severe
- Homework, 10%.
- Exam 1, Wednesday, September 28th: 20%.
- Exam 2, Wednesday, October 26th: 20% (last day to drop is March
- Exam 3, Wednesday, November 30th: 20%.
- Final, Monday, December 12th,
1:00 pm: 30%. *** Please
note the corrected time.***
Office Hours: If you need to see me, please look for me
the office hours posted below, or please make an appointment. If there
is no one in my office during the last half of the office hour, I will
feel free to leave, so please arrive early. Office hours begin the
week of classes. Exam week office hours (if any) will be posted later.
Other Important Dates: (See the UNLV
calendar for more details.)
- Monday or Wednesday, 9:15am -- 10:45am, 2:00pm -- 3:00pm,
- ... or by appointment.
"If you have a documented disability that requires assistance, you
need to contact Disability Services (DS) for coordination in your
accommodations. DS is located within the Learning Enhancement Services
(LES), in the Reynolds Student Services Center (SSC), Room 137. The DS
number is 702-895-0866, TDD 895-0652." Their website is at www.unlv.edu/studentlife/les.
- August 29: Instruction and late registration begin.
- September 2: Final date for late registration, course
or fee payment (with late penalty). Last day to inform me of
absences due to
holidays. Last day to drop a course without it showing up on
transcripts (new this year).
- September 5: Labor Day recess.
- October 28: Nevada Day recess (Friday).
- November 4: Final date to drop or withdraw from classes
courses). A grade of "W" will
show on transcripts (new this year).
- November 11: Veterans' Day recess (Friday).
- November 24: Thanksgiving.
- December 5 -- 9: Study Week.
- December 12 --16: Final examinations.
"The University requires all members of the University Community
to familiarize themselves and to follow copyright and fair use
requirements. YOU ARE INDIVIDUALLY AND SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR
VIOLATIONS OF COPYRIGHT AND FAIR USE LAWS. THE UNIVERSITY WILL
NEITHER PROTECT NOR DEFEND YOU NOR ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR
EMPLOYEE OR STUDENT VIOLATIONS OF FAIR USE LAWS. Violations of
copyright laws could subject you to federal and state civil penalties
and criminal liability as well as disciplinary action under University
policies. To familiarize yourself with copyright and fair use
policies, the University encourages you to visit its copyright website
UNLV Home Page * Arthur's
This page was launched August 24th, 2005.